Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

George Carlin's "Last Words"

George Carlin, one of the greatest comedians ever, passed away in 2008, but his last words remain with us. Tony Hendra started working with Carlin on his memoirs almost 20 years ago, and in Last Words, published in 2009, gives us the insight into Carlin that has only been hinted at in his HBO specials, appearances on The Tonight Show, and his previous works.

I've read this book about three times over the past year, and there's always something that grabs me every time I pick it up. It's funny and irreverent as you might expect, but humble and honest and sweet. It makes me regret not being alive when Carlin was out pushing the boundaries of decency and comedy at the height of his fame. Every time I watch an HBO special or re-read his books, or even watch Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure for the hundredth time, I appreciate his way with words and how he uses them. He understands just how important and how un-important words are to us.

One of my favorite passages from Last Words is re-printed below. It's one of the best descriptions of Los Angeles I've ever read, because I have the same feeling when I wake up every morning.

"What I remember most about the ambience of Hollywood was this amazing morning feeling. This promise of wide-open possibility. Something about the way the air smelled. And tasted good - and no, this is not a smog joke. There was a goldenness about the atmosphere. Even with all the traffic, a kind of quiet, a peace free of hustle and agitation. You felt safe but at the same time able to have different dreams every day. Or picture a hundred futures."
Pick up the book, check it out from the library, or read it on your kindle, but do yourself a favor and take a look inside the mind of a genius.

0 comments:

Post a Comment